Reading Pennsylvania History
The Berks History Center is the first place to experience a little over 300 years of history around Berks County. The museum was originally founded in 1869 as the Berkshire County Historical Society by Berkshire County residents who came together to share the history of Berks County (the first president was William M. Hiester).
The growth of the modern Reading Company began on 1 January 1850, when William M. Hiester and his wife Mary acquired the Reading Railroad Company, the first railway company in Pennsylvania. The Lebanon Valley Railway was then bought on 20 March 1858 to link Reading with its capital Harrisburg, and the LVRR opened on 18 January 1858.
When it became clear that the economy could not support two competing rail lines in the region, Reading, Pennsylvania, established its maritime link to carry freight and passengers to South Jerusalem. Reading controlled the Atlantic City railroad, and Pennsylvania was on the run in competition with Philadelphia and Atlantic City.
The Centre Turnpike Company, founded in 1805, built a road to the north, and the Percisomas - Reading Turnpikes led to the south-east, the Berks - Dauphin Turnpike (1817) to the west, extending to Reading Terminal. The line was electrified in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, with the opening of the Reading and South Jerusalem Railways in 1850. It stretched from Reading to Philadelphia and Atlantic City to New Jersey.
With the completion of the Schuylkill Canal in 1825, Reading was connected to Philadelphia and the Delaware River. Two canals served Reading and established the city as a harbour on the Susquehanna River, which the canal connected to the Delmarva River via the Wilmington Canal. The Philadelphia - Reading Railroad was founded in the late 18th century, making the cannons almost obsolete. D & BB later completed the construction of a railway line from Reading to Woodbridge, New Jersey, where the Port of Reading was opened in 1889.
The railway also operated a large commuter service, including the Pennsylvania - Reading Seashore line from Reading to Philadelphia. Passenger trains operated until 27 July 1981, when the transit operator SEPTA restricted commuter traffic on the electrified line. To overcome the obstacle of winter, the state legislature, at the request of the city, approved the construction of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad on 1 January 1976.
Reading grew into a borough in 1783 and to its current position as a city in 1812. In 1820, workers completed the construction of the Schuykill Canal and the Union Canal, which connected Reading to Philadelphia via the Delaware and Susquehanna rivers, allowing freight to be transported to and from the area. This boosted industrial growth enormously and Reading grew from a small town to a large city with over 1,000 inhabitants at the end of the 19th century.
In 1824, the Schuylkill Canal, which connected Reading with Philadelphia, was completed, and the Union Canal was in operation until 1828. In 1826, a new bridge over the Susquehanna River connects Reading and Philadelphia across the Delaware River, with the completion of the Reading - Philadelphia Bridge in 1827. The Schumacher-Reading Bridge, which connects Reading with Philadelphia via the SCHUyl Kill, or Shipping Canal, is completed in 1824; the Union Canal has been in operation since 1828.
The Reading Railway (pronounced "Red"), officially known as the Reading Company, is one of the oldest railway lines in the USA and the second oldest in Europe. For more than a century, the railroad transported coal from the Pennsylvania coal region to the eastern United States. The Reading Railroad in its current form lives on in Reading, Pennsylvania, and in other parts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. D & BB was founded in 1827 and opened the line five years later to Bound Brook Junction, where it served the North Penn Railroad and connected to the Central Railroad of New York and the Central Railway of Connecticut as well as the Central Railway in New Jersey.
It was once part of what we came to know as the Monopoly Board of Reading Railway, a large railway system that radiates from the city of Reading in all directions. The Reading Railway was built in the early 19th century, replacing the major hubs and canals of the time and radiating in all directions in and around the city of reading. Reading was built on Centre Avenue, and the introduction of shopping carts in 1874 allowed Reading's wealthy industrialists to move north, while guest workers settled in the southern City district, establishing the area as one of the first suburbs. In 1893, it was relegated to regional status due to its collapse, but it is still active in its original form in Reading, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.
This was no different for P & R, which had been fighting the interests of local channels for years before its opening in 1838, and was bought by the New York Company, one of the world's largest railway companies, to build a site for its new line in the Reading area, which was close to the New York market.